Projects per year
Professor Alamgir Hossain (Professor of Artificial Intelligence): Professor Hossain received the DPhil degree from the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield, UK. He is currently serving as a Professor of Artificial Intelligence (School of Computing, Engineering & Digital Technologies) and Lead of the Centre for Digital Innovation, Teesside University, UK. Prior to this he also served in the Anglia Ruskin University at Cambridge (as a Director of IT Research Institute), University of Northumbria at Newcastle (as a Head of the Computational Intelligence Group), University of Bradford (as a senior lecturer), University of Sheffield (as a Research Fellow), Sheffield Hallam University (as a Senior Lecturer) and the University of Dhaka (as a Chairman of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering). He has extensive research experience in AI (artificial intelligence) applications, big data analysis, image processing, predictive modelling, cybersecurity, intelligent decision support systems, humanoid robot, real-time and adaptive control systems. Professor Hossain has led many large EU & UKRI funded projects as an International lead investigator, worth over £16 million. These include, EU funded projects (e-Link, 5.5 million Euro; Fusion, 2.5 million Euro), Newton Funded Project (TB-Test), innovate UK project (Risk2Click), etc. With a publication in Nature, he has published over 300 refereed research articles, contributed in 12 books, received the "F C Williams 1996" award for an IET journal (UK) and Lifetime achievement award (Channel S, London). He has received over 10,000 citations and won five best paper awards at international conferences. He had 17 successful PhD completions under his direct supervision. He also served as a guest editor of many high-quality journals, chair/co-chairs of many conferences, reviewer of many journals and conferences.
For further details of his publications & citations, please explore his Google Scholar account
Key Research & Innovation Areas
Alamgir and his team members are interested on collaborative applied research focuses on algorithm design, particularly using hybrid AI algorithms (including traditional machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning, adaptive learning, optimisation, fusion, natural language processing& ontology) to address the challenges around:
- Medical informatics, medical image processing, self-health diagnosis & management, bioinformatics, optimal cancer treatment modelling, personalised healthcare model, etc.
- Big data, cyber security, game & gamification, mobile & IoT enabled expert systems, personal cyber assistant, engineering/business process optimisation etc.
- Overall, Intelligent, Adaptive and Real-time Decision Support Systems.
Research Scopes/Projects for Potential PhD Students
- Investigation into the development of an AI-enabled expert system for real-time diseases (communicable/non-communicable) diagnosis using Smartphone with/without attachment (Microscopic Lenses, Digital Microscope, Endoscope, Spectrometer, handheld X-ray or other devices).
- Co-creation of AI-enabled predictive personalised care models (PCMs) using the patient’s parameters (symptoms, diagnosis/screening/sequence analysis results, age, underlying conditions, lifestyle, medical history, location, ethnicity etc.) for clinical professionals and caregivers.
- Big data analysis using AI/Machine Learning for prediction, reinforcement modelling, optimisation, visualisation and decision support system.
Relevant Recent Research/Innovation/Networking Fund
- Newton Research Fund: £130,000 (Grant ID: 216385726) with Malaysia (2016-18) as PI and £96K (Gant ID: 5276431) with Thailand (2020) as Co-I.
- Innovate UK: Academic Start-up: Grant ID: 10229, £51K (iCure) + £16K (Risk2Click 2019) as PI. Play2Secure-2019 (£16K) and Risk2IoT@smartplace-2019 (£32K) as Co-I.
- Innovate UK, KTP, £174,000 (Grant ID 1024962) with Bertrandt UK (2017-2019); UK, £179,000 (Grant ID: 010690) with MGE Electric, Colchester (2017-2019) and £192K with TR Control Solutions Ltd, Peterborough (2018-2019).
- EU, €2496,450 (ID: 2012-2645); International Lead PI with 13 countries (2012 – 2016).
- EU €3050,000 (Ref: 2013-545774): Co-investigator with 18 countries (2014-2018).
- EU, €5,488,700 (Ref: 2008-149674), International Lead PI with 10 countries (2009-2012).
- EU, €405,000 (2004-91712), Co-investigator– with 3 Asian & 2 EU countries. (2004-2008)
- EPSRC £79,000.00 CASE studentship (KTP with Bell Consultant and Services) (2009-12).
Prizes, Awards and Honours
- Best Journal Paper Award: IEE, F C William Premium (1996), for the paper "Heterogeneous and homogenous architecture for real-time active vibration control", IEE (current IET), J of the Control Theory and App., Part-D, 142(6), UK, pp. 625-632
- Best Conference Paper Awards: CSBio2010 (Thailand), SKIMA2012/14 (China/Bangladesh), PACBB 2013 (Spain) & IEEE CIS 2012 (Ireland).
- Best Science Writer Award: national science writer award (Hallima Sharouddin) for a text book on Computer Science (Bangla Academy, Bangladesh).
Current/Recently Completed PhD Students
- Ms Syeda Qurat-ul-Ain Naqvi (in progress)
- Ms Kamalapriya Ajay (in progress)
- Dr Marzia Hoque Tania (Research Fellow, University of Oxford)
- Dr Nazia Hammed (Teaching Assistant, Nottingham University)
- Dr Md Mahmudul Hasan (Tech Lead, Mediprospects.AI)
- Dr Abdullah Al Mamun (The University of Rhode Island, USA)
- Dr Nabila Kazmi (Senior Research Fellow, University of Bristol)
Conducted Collaborative Research and Innovation Projects with
Industrial Partners: MGA Electric (Colchester), Fujifilm Diosynth (Middlesbrough), Bertrandt (Basildon), TR Control (Peterborough), AT Medics (London), Balfour Beatty Rail (Derby), Bob’s Business (Barnsley), Mediprospects-AI (London), Bell consultant (Leeds), Agenci Ltd (Leeds), Aramco (Saudi Arabia), Projukti (Bangladesh) etc.
International Academic Partners: University Putra (Malaysia), Jadavpur University (India), Makerere University (Uganda), Chang Mai University (Thailand), Dhaka University (Bangladesh), Kantipur Engineering College (Nepal), São Paulo State University (Brazil), Capital University of Science & Technology Islamabad (Pakistan), Addis Ababa University (Ethiopia), Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology (Kenya), University Lumiere Lyon 2 (France), The University of Rhode Island (USA), University of Sannio (Italy), Thuy Loi University (Vietnam), Intitute of Technology (Cambodia), BINUS University (Indonesia), Northern University (China), United International University (Bangladesh), Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (Sri Lanka), University of Göttingen (Germany), Hellenic Open University (Greece), Lodz University of Technology (Poland) & University of Porto (Portugal).
Bachelor, University of Dhaka
Master, University of Dhaka
PhD, University of Sheffield
Multi-class multi-level classification algorithm for skin lesions classification using machine learning techniquesHameed, N., Shabut, A. M., Ghosh, M. K. & Hossain, M. A., 1 Mar 2020, In: Expert Systems with Applications. 141, 112961.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile173 Downloads (Pure)
Hossain, A., 1 Mar 2019, In: Integrative Medicine Research. 8, 1, p. 42-56
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile138 Downloads (Pure)
Hossain, A., 28 Aug 2019, In: Computers. 8, 3, 12 p., 62.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile38 Downloads (Pure)
Hossain, A., 22 Aug 2019, p. 83-88. 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-review
Hossain, A., 7 Mar 2019, Proceedings - 2018 International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Communications Engineering, iCCECE 2018. Excell, P. S., Ali, M., Jones, A., Soomro, S. & Miraz, M. H. (eds.). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., 5 p. 8658480. (Proceedings - 2018 International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Communications Engineering, iCCECE 2018).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution