Projects per year
Dr Donglai Xu is Reader in electronic engineering specialising in digital systems and micro/nano devices design and prototyping with a range of application areas such as video/image technology, digital electronics and organic electronics.
He is a member of Editorial Board of International Journal of Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing and the Co-Chair of Technical Program Committee for 2010 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2010).
He holds Visiting Professor post at ENSEEIHT of INP, France and at Wuhan Polytechnic University, China, respectively. He is also an elected member of Signal Processing and Communication Electronics Technical Committee, IEEE Communications Society.
In recent years, Dr Xu has produced more than 65 publications through referred journals, monographic books and conference proceedings. Since 2000, he has bid successfully for a number of research grants/projects funded by European Union, UK government agencies and various industries. Dr Xu is currently a senior member of IEEE and a member of IET.
Summary of Research Interests
Recent research projects have included:
- University Research Fund (2004-05) - Investigation into system integrated VLSI architectures for motion analysis in image sequences.
- Peter Berg Foundation (2001-03) - Novel object-based motion estimation algorithms for MPEG-4 video applications.
- University Research Fund (2001-02) - VLSI hardware architecture design for video compression applications.
- Hopkinsons Ltd (2000-03) - Novel motion estimation techniques for video compression applications.
- EU Leonardo Da Vinci programme (1999-2001) - NetPro Project, EU sponsorship.
- image motion analysis and estimation
- content-based image/video compression methods
- MPEG standards
- high-performance parallel architectures
- digital system and VLSI design
- SoC and IP blocks design
- organic electronic devices
Enterprise Interest and Activities
Enterprise interests include:
- Applications of image/video signal processing technology
- Digital circuits and systems design and prototyping
- Modelling and applications of organic electronic devices.
A novel hybrid technique to enhance oil production from oil-wet carbonate reservoirs by combining a magnetic field with alumina and iron oxide nanoparticlesAmrouche, F., Rezaei Gomari, S., Islam, M. & Xu, D., 31 Oct 2020, In: Journal of Cleaner Production. 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Bandwidth-Enhanced Oversampling Successive Approximation Readout Technique for Low-Noise Power-Efficient MEMS Capacitive AccelerometerZhong, L., Yang, J., Xu, D. & Lai, X., 1 Sep 2020, In: IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits. 55, 9, p. 2529-2538 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile51 Downloads (Pure)
Rezaei Gomari, S., Islam, M. & Xu, D., 2020. 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-review
Xu, D., Lai, X., Wang, Y., Liao, X., Fang, Z. & Zheng, Y., 1 Aug 2020, In: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers. 67, 8, p. 2578-2587 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile79 Downloads (Pure)
Capacitive Touch Panel with Low Sensitivity to Water Drop employing Mutual-coupling Electrical Field Shaping TechniqueZhong, L., Lai, X., Xu, D., Liao, X., Yang, C., Fang, Z. & Zheng, Y., 1 Apr 2019, In: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers. 66, 4, p. 1393-1404 12 p., 8544017.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile224 Downloads (Pure)