Projects per year
Dr Ewan Ingleby has been the postgraduate research tutor for the school of social sciences, humanities, and law since 2013. Ewan is particularly interested in using frameworks and concepts that derive from philosophy and ethnography (for example, new literacy studies). Ewan was an elected member of the international committee of IPDA (the International Professional Development Association) from 2012-2019 and he has worked on funded research by the Higher Education Academy and Innovate UK. Ewan has published research articles in peer-reviewed education journals, including Studies In Higher Education; Teaching In Higher Education; and Professional Development in Education and he has participated in national and international education conferences. Ewan is a member of the editorial board for Research In Post Compulsory Education and for Practice: Contemporary Issues in Practitioner Education. Ewan has also published a number of books in education. Ewan has supervised four students to research degree completion (three doctoral students in education as director of studies and one MPhil student in education as second supervisor). Ewan's PhD in education completers have applied visual methods in exploring the perceptions of new vocational degrees in higher education and considered the implications of the marketisation of higher education. Ewan's last Education Doctorate completer undertook a research thesis on applying technology to pedagogy in higher education.
PhD Completions (as Director of Studies).
1. Gary Currie 2016 ('An exploration of the impact of new vocational degrees on Higher Education. A case study of the BSc Crime Scene Science degree using photo-elicitation.').
2. Alison Watson 2019 ('A mixed methods study exploring the impact of marketisation on a case study Higher Education provider.').
Education Doctorate Completions (as Director of Studies).
1. Barbara Wilford 2018 ('A case study exploring the factors influencing academics in their use of TEL [Technology Enabled Learning].').
A monograph entitled: 'Neoliberalism and Education: An Exploration of Policy and Practice'. The contract for the monograph was awarded in April 2019 by Palgrave Macmillan. The draft is due in December 2020. The monograph is due to be part of an international series ('Palgrave Studies on Global Policy and Critical Futures in Education') edited by Professor Michael Thomas.
Summary of Research Interests
Ewan has been a pathway director committee member for the ESRC (Economic Social Research Council) doctoral training partnership and represented Teesside from 2016-2019. Ewan has also worked on a funded research project to help schools in England to develop a virtual learning platform via Innovate UK.
Indicators of Esteem
- Invitation to be part of the BIGSSS (Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences) conference 2015.
- ESRC DTP mid-term review panel member, November 2019.
- ESRC DTP training representative (2019-present).
- ESRC pathway representative for Teesside for social policy, sociology, social work, children, youth and families (2016-2019).
- ESRC doctoral nomination assessor (2016-2019).
- Postgraduate Research Tutor for the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Law at Teesside and appointed editor for the IPDA blog/book reviews.
- Elected member of IPDA's international research committee (2012-2019) and The Association For Research in Post-Compulsory Education (2015-present).
- External examiner for doctoral exams in education at Glasgow; Sheffield Hallam; Canterbury Christ Church; Northampton and Birmingham City Universities.
- Invited keynote introductory speaker for the BSA (British Sociological Association) postgraduate conference at Teesside in May 2016.
- Peer reviewer for Studies in Higher Education; Computers and Education; The Journal of Education Policy; Professional Development in Education; The Journal of Further and Higher Education; Review of Education; Research in Post-Compulsory Education; and Practice: Contemporary Issues In Practitioner Education..
- Editorial board member for Ashgate Monographs in Education and external reviewer for the review of postgraduate study at The Faculty of Education and Social Science, Leeds University, December 2016.
- Research evaluator of employability, local government and Academy schools in Teesside & school transition initiative (2014-2017).
Selected conference papers
Ingleby, E. Cockshut, L. and M. Wijnbergen. The importance of being enterprising for teacher education and teacher professional development. Paper presented at the BERA Conference, 11-13th September 2018, Northumbria University, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Ingleby, E. Reading between the lines: the consequences of performativity for the professional development of educators in schools in England. Paper presented at the IPDA conference, 24-25th November, Vale of Glamorgan, Wales, UK, 2017.
Ingleby E., & B. Wilford. Technology Enhanced Learning and the implications for professional development in higher education. Paper presented at the IPDA conference, 25-26th November, Stirling, UK, 2016.
Ingleby, E., & C. Hedges. 'How can you survive in the world if you can't use a computer?' Exploring the vocational and training needs of early years practitioners in England. Paper presented at the BERA conference, 4-7th September, Manchester, UK, 2012.
Ingleby, E., & J.E. Tummons. Mentoring in the lifelong learning sector: Implementation or improvisation? Paper presented at the BERA conference, 1-4th September, Warwick, UK, 2010.
Research Projects & External Funding
- 2016-present ESRC NINE DTP.
- 2017: £5000, Middlesbrough Council. Evaluator of the 'schools transition' initiative.
- 2016-2017: £99,706, Innovate UK. Exploration of schools' organisational culture in England.
- 2015: £5,000, Middlesbrough Council. Evaluator of the 'support for schools' pilot project.
- 2010-2011: £1,119, HEA. Developing pedagogy and practice grant.
PhD and Research Opportunities
Ewan is especially interested in applying visual methods to qualitative research in education and welcomes PhD applications in the following areas:
- philosophy of education;
- policy analysis;
- technology and education;
- higher education;
- post-compulsory education;
- educational leadership.
Ewan is the supervisor of 10 PhD students in education and two education doctorate students.
External Roles and Professional Activities
External Examiner for the Education Doctorate (Queen's University Belfast).
External Research Collaborations
- 2015 - present: Lead contact and writer of the Teesside component of the ESRC (Economic Social Research Council) DTP (Doctoral Training Partnership).
- 2015 - present: member of the ARPCE (Association for Research into Post-Compulsory Education).
- 2012 - 2019: elected member of IDPA's international committee.
Enterprise Interest and Activities
Ewan was part of a small business research initiative that was sponsored by the DfE (Department for Education) from 2016-2017.
Learning and Teaching Interests and Activities
Ewan is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (awarded in October 2018). Ewan teaches on the Education Doctorate; the MA in Education; and undergraduate education programmes. Ewan is interested in humanist learning and educational leadership across educational settings. Ewan has published a number of books on education and social work that reflect on the processes of pedagogy and educational leadership.
PhD, University of Surrey
Award Date: 16 Apr 2002
Master, Durham University
Award Date: 29 Jun 1990
Bachelor, University of Kent
Award Date: 30 Jun 1987
External Examiner for the Education Doctorate., Queen's University Belfast1 Oct 2018 → 1 Oct 2021
Ingleby, E. & Hoath, L., 2 Mar 2020, In: Practice: Contemporary Issues in Practitioner Education. 2, 1, p. 1-3 3 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
'Real’ formative assessment? An exploratory study of simulated learning in the post-compulsory radiography curriculum.Hedges, C., Ingleby, E. & Cosson, P., 8 Mar 2020, (Accepted/In press) In: Research in Post-Compulsory Education. 25, 3, p. 1-20 20 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Ingleby, E., Wilford, B. & Hedges, C., 25 Feb 2019, In: Practice: Contemporary Issues in Practitioner Education. 1, 1, p. 1 25 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile62 Downloads (Pure)
Ingleby, E., Cockshut, T. & Wijnbergen, M., 13 Sep 2018, p. 1. 29 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-review