I entered Higher Education teaching in 1988 after spending four years at local further education colleges teaching numeracy, mathematics, statistics, and IT at all levels (GCE, A-level). This included overall responsibility for the teaching of numeracy and statistics at all levels within the organisation.
Since 1988 I have had a varied career within the university sector teaching e-Business, IT, statistics, and quantitative methods within the School of Computing, Teesside University Business School, School of Social Sciences, Business and Law, and since 2018 within Teesside Business School.
I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) and in 2002 was awarded the status of Teesside University Teaching Fellow.
Professionally, I have been a member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications as a Chartered Mathematician (until 2004) and a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society (until 2004).
My learning and teaching research includes the application of open learning and IT in the learning, teaching and assessment of e-Business and statistics courses and I have undertaken consultancy work in providing learning and teaching advice to other universities, professional bodies, and publishers within the area of e-Business, statistics and quantitative methods.
I have published a range of texts and contributed to the development of other publisher texts by acting as an advisory editor, conducting competitor analysis, and commenting on specific text chapters for external publishers.
The most recent text books published by Oxford University Press include:
- Business Statistics Using Excel, Oxford University Press (ISBN13: 9780199556892, published January 2010).
- Quantitative Methods for Decision Making Using Excel - Oxford University Press (published November 2012, ISBN: 978-0-19-969406-8).
- Business Statistics Using Excel, 2nd edition - Oxford University Press (published January 2013, ISBN: 978-0-19-965951-7).
- Business Statistics using Excel: A First Course for South African Students (ISBN: 9780199044092).
- Statistics for the Social Sciences using Excel: A First Course for South African Students (ISBN: 9780199051830)
- Predictive Analytics Modelling: Using MS Excel, Amazon Kindle, December 2016, ISBN: 978-1-63587-774-8
Finally, I am currently working on developing new text books:
- Business Statistics Using Excel and IBM SPSS (new manuscript due for completion Summer 2019).
- Business Statistics Using excel - OUP North America/Canada (new project due to start soon 2020).
- Analysing research data - new project due to start 2019/2020.
From a management perspective I have been Head of Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes (2003-2005), Chair of Learning and Teaching Committee (2006-2007), TUBS e-Learning Coordinator (until Autumn 2009), Undergraduate Business Programme Leader (1990 - 2012), Subject Group Leader 2012-2016 (Business Management, Business Management and Marketing) and a member of a range of university committees and working groups.
Summary of Research Interests
Research interests are predominantly on the use of text and electronic based methods to deliver module content, improve communication with students, and improve feedback to students on their performance. Current projects include:
- Developing text and web based materials to support student learning in statistics and quantitative methods.
- Developing text and web based materials to support student learning in e-Business modules.
- Developing text and web based content to provide L&T programme leader support to students.
I have 30 years' experience of the supervision of undergraduate dissertations, postgraduate dissertations, and e-commerce live projects.
Award Date: 1 Jan 1992
Award Date: 2 Jun 1986
Award Date: 1 Jun 1983
Award Date: 1 Jun 1983