Projects per year
Dr Habibi is a Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering at Teesside University. He holds the Chartered Engineer status and a professional member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (CEng IMechE). Hossein is also a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). He is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Hossein received the B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Isfahan University of Technology and Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz respectively. He accomplished his PhD study at University College Dublin on dynamics and control of flexible mechanical systems in 2014. Hossein then joined Brunel Innovation Centre (BIC) in TWI Company in Cambridge as a Research Fellow and the project leader of two European funded projects, mainly focused on the areas of ultrasonic guided waves and low frequency vibration. In 2016, he joined the Faculty of Engineering in the University of Nottingham as a Research Associate where he extended his research in the field of continuum soft robotics.
Hossein has a great deal of experience in successful collaborative research projects and leading work in international and interdisciplinary levels. He has led the following research projects at Brunel Innovation Center (TWI Ltd) and Advanced Manufacturing Technology Research Group (University of Nottingham).
- Open-rotor propellers ice protection system using acoustic techniques (EU CLEANSKY-funded project)
- Development of anti/de-icing systems (FP7 EC-funded project)
- Development of compliant mathematical and experimental 3D models for actuated large deformation robotic-based continuum surfaces usable in different healthcare, energy and aerospace applications (EPSRC-funded project).
Hossein is the author/co-author of more than 30 peer-reviewed publications in quality journals and conference proceedings. He has supervised numerous research projects of both undergraduate and postgraduate students across a few universities. Hossein has also acted as the reviewer of several journals such as Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, Cold Regions Science and Technology, Mechanism and Machine Theory, as well as prestigious conferences such as IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) and ICRA. He has been the session chair and invited speaker in a few events such as International Symposium on Soft Robotics at Xi'an Jiaotong University, China (August 2017) and at Laboratorio de Ingeniería Mecánica, University of La Coruña, Spain (April 2018).
Hossein with a demonstrated history of working in the higher education sector, has been actively involved in curricular planning and teaching activities. He has been the module leader and tutor for a range of subjects and courses in undergraduate and postgraduate levels including Structural Mechanics, Dynamics and Vibrations, Dynamic Analysis, Control, Machine Design, Mechanics of Materials, Statics, Dynamics of Mechanisms and Machines, Non-Destructive Testing; Graphic and Industrial Drawing, and Numerical and Computational methods.
Summary of Research Interests
Hossein’s research background and interests lie in a range of applied engineering fields including
- The mathematical modelling, dynamical analysis and real time control of non-rigid robotic systems
- Soft robotics for applications in healthcare and rehabilitation, manufacturing, energy and aerospace
- Wave based motion and vibration control of mechanical flexible systems
- Application of piezoelectricity in energy harvesting
- Simulation of underactuated multibody systems such as spacecrafts' solar panels and gaits of human character
- Applications of power ultrasonic guided waves in renewable energy technologies
Hossein is currently considering self-funded PhD applications particularly in the following areas
- Optimisation of piezoelectric characteristics in energy harvesters
- Smart design solutions for manufacturing mechanisms such as rapid reshaping of thin carbon fiber sheets
- Control of vibration and precise positioning of manipulators and flexible elements in spatial structures using wave ideas
- Power ultrasonic guided waves for industrial cleaning and protection against icing and fouling conditions
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
12/12/22 → 3/04/23
1/07/21 → 30/09/21
Mehrabi, M., Soorgee, M. H., Habibi, H. & Kappatos, V., 21 Feb 2022, In: Ultrasonics. 123, 9 p., 106707.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Automating the Optimal Selection Process of Subassembly Sections of a Modular Spreader Beam Used in Lifting OperationsWheatley, T., Chong, P. L., Habibi, H. & Djawad, W., 15 Sep 2022, In: Machines. 10, 9, 8 p., 808.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile11 Downloads (Pure)
Darragh, M., Jenaban, M. R., Chong, P. L. & Habibi, H., 24 Dec 2021, In: Journal of Engineering & Technological Advances (JETA). 6, 2 (2021)
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile48 Downloads (Pure)
Thermal efficiency investigation of a ferrofluid-based cylindrical solar collector with a helical pipe receiver under the effect of magnetic fieldShojaeizadeh, E., Veysi, F., Habibi, H., Goodarzi, K. & Habibi, M., 21 May 2021, In: Renewable Energy. 176, p. 198 213 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile29 Downloads (Pure)
Habibi, H., Yang, C., Godage, I. S., Kang, R., Walker, I. D. & Branson, D., 1 Feb 2020, In: Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics. 12, 1, p. 1-12 12 p., 011014.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile233 Downloads (Pure)