Summary of Research Interests
Mass spectrometry is a very powerful analytical technique. Sheer versatility and sensitivity have facilitated the use of these instruments in a wide range of applications. My research is based on pushing the boundaries of mass spectrometry within many life science applications which are now dependent on this technology, and currently focusing on small molecule characterisation, identification of novel chemical protein modifications, lipid analyses and synthetic polymer analysis to name but a very few. I collaborate widely with both industry and academic partners during the course of my studies.
Active research projects include:
- Lipidation of organic molecules and peptides or proteins as a result of innate chemical interactions at the cell membrane.
- Shape selective mass spectrometry for the characterization of pharmaceutical, personal care and agricultural formulations.
- Developing analytical tools for characterizing and tracking biological probes.
- Development of transportable mass spectrometry for field-based applications.
- Analysis of controlled substances in public settings.
- Development and application of emerging MS-technologies for ionizing challenging analytes with expertise in the atmospheric pressure solids analysis probe.
- Development and application of electron-based tandem mass spectrometry for full compound characterization.
PhD and Research Opportunities
With a cohort of good PhD students and PDRA’s, past and present, I am always interested in recruiting new members to the team, engaging with new collaborators and embarking on new scientific challenges for mass spectrometry.
External Roles and Professional Activities
Vice Chair for the British Mass Spectrometry Society (BMSS)
Tutor on the BMSS’s Introduction to Mass Spectrometry training course.
Peer reviewer for a range of journals and funding bodies.
PhD – University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
PDRA – Univeraity of Waterloo, Ontario, CA
Bruker Daltonics Ltd – Senior Scientist
Durham University – Senior Research Scientist
Vice Chair, British Mass Spectrometry Society