Projects per year
Pei san E (Sharel) is a Lecturer in Chemistry at School of Health & Life Sciences, Teesside University. Sharel graduated from the University of Science Malaysia with a B.Eng. in Materials Science and Engineering in 2011 and a Ph.D. in Chemistry at the University of Warwick, UK, in 2017, exploring carbon nanomaterials for electroanalysis and electrocatalysis. In 2016 she began Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) postdoctoral research in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology at the University of Cambridge, UK, working on novel porous materials for electrochemical gas sensing. Sharel joined Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) at the University of Warwick in 2019 as a Research Fellow working on the development of lithium ion technologies (lithium ion battery and lithium ion capacitor). Her research is at the interface of fundamental research and business, developing skills in translation and exploitation of lab-based research to commercial settings.
Her work has been published in reputable journals such as Nature, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Carbon, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, and Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. She has been awarded a few poster and oral prizes in Conferences (Warwick, 2015-2016), the Gold Award in British Invention Show (BIS, London, 2011), the Romanian Best Innovation award in BIS (London, 2011), the Gold medal Award in National Research and Innovation Competition (NRIC, Malaysia, 2011), and the Sustainable Green Technology Award in NRIC (Malaysia, 2011).
Her research focuses on areas of nanoscale/microscale electrochemistry, electroanalysis, electrocatalysis, development of electrochemical sensor (biosensor and environmental sensor) and electrochemical energy storage. She pushed the boundary of scanning electrochemical cell microscopy (SECCM) technique, where a nanopipette, filled with a small volume of electrolyte, was scanned across the electrode surface, for revealing the nanoscale activity of the heterogenous electrode surface. She has developed carbon nanotube and metal organic framework based electrochemical sensors for trace level detection of biological and environmental molecules such as toxic gases and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
In the area of energy storage, she investigated the prelithiation process on the cathode/anode of lithium ion battery in order to compensate lithium losses and to increase the energy density.
Being awarded the prestigious Talented Program organised by Hebei government (China), she aims to facilitate interdisciplinary collaborations on electrochemical sensors and electrochemical energy storage with Hebei University of Technology and Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Learning and Teaching Interests and Activities
Dr Peisan E (Sharel) is currently teaching various modules spanning both disciplines of Chemistry and Biochemistry:
Structure and Bonding (Yr1), Module leader
Chemical & Biochemical Reactivity (Yr1)
Introduction to Inorganic and Physical Chemistry (Yr1)
- Physical Chemistry (Yr2)
Inorganic Chemistry (Yr2), Module leader
Intergrated Laboratory (Yr2), Module leader
Advanced Inorganic Chemistry (Yr3), Module leader
Summary of Research Interests
- Boron-doped diamond electrochemical biosensor
- Metal–organic framework for biotechnology applications
- Nanomaterials for biosensing
- Materials and electrolytes for electrochemical gas sensing
- Low cost biosensor
PhD and Research Opportunities
We welcome applications to join Sharel’s lab. If interested e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org directly.
Open PDRA position
For the moment there are no open PDRA position. Potential candidates willing to apply for funding such as Newton fellowship should contact Dr. Pei San E well in advance.
Open PhD position
Potential self-funded PhD students should contact Dr. Pei San E (Sharel) well in advance, for discussion and interview.
If you’re interested in applying for scholarship (e.g, commonwealth scholarship) and you are looking for a host, please contact Dr. Pei San E.
External Research Collaborations
- Prof. Matthew Hill, University of Monash, Australia.
- Prof. Xuefeng Qian and Prof. Jiantao Zai, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China.
- Prof. Reinaldo Francisco Teófilo, Universidade Federal de Viçosa, Brazil.
- Prof. Pat Unwin and Prof. Julie Macpherson, University of Warwick, UK.
- Prof. Lisa Hall, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Dr Yang-Rae Kim, Kwangwoon University, South Korea.
- Dr. Qiuping Wei and Dr. Zhiming Yu, Central South University, China.
- Dr. Ying Tang, Hebei University of Technology, China.
- Talented Program organized by Hebei government, 2019-2029
- Runner-up in Composites and Electrochemistry Poster Showcase, University of Warwick, 2016
- Runner-up in Research Postgraduate Poster Showcase, University of Warwick, 2015
- Gold Award in British Invention Show (BIS), London, 2011
- Romanian Best Innovation award in British Invention Show (BIS), London, 2011
- Gold medal Award in National Research and Innovation Competition (NRIC), Malaysia, 2011
- Sustainable Green Technology Award in National Research and Innovation Competition (NRIC), Malaysia, 2011
- Postgraduate Certificate in Transferable Skills in Science, 2016
- Chancellor’s International Scholarship, University of Warwick, 2012-2016
- Tunku Abdul Rahman Scholarship Award, Malaysia, 2008-2011 (less than 50 scholarships awarded per annual and open to all Malaysian undergraduate students in all disciplines);
- Dean’s List Research Awards (8 semesters in total), 2007-2011
University of Cambridge
13 Aug 2018 → 26 Aug 2018
Award Date: 26 Aug 2018
PhD, University of Warwick
1 Oct 2012 → 1 Oct 2016
Award Date: 1 Mar 2017
Bachelor, Universiti Sains Malaysia
1 Sep 2007 → 1 May 2011
Award Date: 1 Jul 2011
Guest-Editor , Frontiers in Chemical Engineering
28 Aug 2020 → …
Research Fellow, University of Warwick
1 Mar 2019 → 27 Feb 2020
Research Associate , University of Cambridge
1 Oct 2016 → 1 Mar 2019
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 2 Active
E, P. S. (. & Zai, J.
30/03/21 → 29/03/23
1/02/21 → 31/01/22
- 15 Article
Yang, M-M., Luo, Z-D., Mi, Z., Zhao, J., E, P. S. S. & Alexe, M., 19 Aug 2020, In: Nature. 584, 7821, p. 377-381 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
A novel modification to boron-doped diamond electrode for enhanced, selective detection of dopamine in human serumLi, H., Zhou, K., Cao, J., Wei, Q., Lin, Z., E, P. S. S., Ma, L., Hu, N., Guo, Y., Deng, Z., Yu, Z., Zeng, S., Yang, W. & Meng, L., 19 Aug 2020, In: Carbon. 171, p. 16-28 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access
Quantitative trace level voltammetry in the presence of electrode fouling agents: Comparison of single-walled carbon nanotube network electrodes and screen-printed carbon electrodesE, P. S. S., Miller, T. S., Meng, L., Macpherson, J. V. & Unwin, P. R., 6 Apr 2020, In: Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. 114137.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
E, P. S. S., Kim, Y-R., Perry, D., Macpherson, J. V. & Unwin, P. R., 25 Oct 2016, In: ACS applied materials & interfaces. 8, p. 30458–30466 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access
High power and stable P-doped yolk-shell structured Si@C anode simultaneously enhancing conductivity and Li+ diffusion kineticsChen, M., Zhou, Q., Iqbal, A., Tsega, T., Dong, B., Liu, X., Zhang, Y., Yan, C., Zhao, L., Nazakat, A., E, P. S. S., Low, C. T. J. & Qian, X., 23 Oct 2020, In: Nano Research. 14, p. 1004-1011
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)