Projects per year
Vida Zohoori is a Professor of Public Health and Nutrition, with particular research interest and expertise in fluorides and public health. She leads the ‘Centre for Public Health Research' in School of Health and Life Sciences.
Vida was an expert panel member of the World Health Organisation (WHO) Global Oral Health technical working group on 'Monitoring of Renal Fluoride Excretion in Community Preventive Programmes on Oral Health' (2011) and subsequently served as rapporteur (2011-12). She also served as the rapporteur at the ‘Fluoride Symposium: Guidelines for Fluoride Intake - Are They Appropriate?’ (San Francisco - USA, March 2017).
She holds a ‘visiting lecturer’ position at Newcastle University - School of Dental Sciences. Her expertise is internationally recognised and she has delivered numerous invited lectures at different institutes including Indiana University/USA,Harbin Commerce University/China, University of Glasgow/Scotland, Sao-Paulo University/Brazil, Tanzania Food and Nutrition Centre TFNC /Tanzania as keynotes speech at different events such as the ‘Researcher links Workshop on fluoride metabolism’ in Brazil, a ‘Milk Fluoridation’ meeting in Spain and a ‘Fluoride’ meeting in Hungary.
Summary of Research Interests
- Fluoride exposure and retention in infants and children
- Fluoride metabolism including interaction of fluoride with other nutrients
- Development of standard methods of fluoride analysis of biological and non-biological samples
- Development of biomarkers for fluoride exposure
- Genetic and fluoride metabolism
Research Projects & External Funding
- Advanced manufacturing of biochar in UK/China/Malaysia/Nigeria (2020-2024) British Council and Ministry of Education China; UK-China-BRI Countries Education Partnership Initiative. Co-investigator
- Towards the first implementation of groundwater remediation using nanotechnology in Brazil – Delivering new policies and designing the first pilot-scale case study (2020-2022). Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF): QR Fund. Co-investigator
- Urinary fluoride parameters in spot urine samples associated with exposure to systemic fluoride through fluoridated toothpastes, waters, salts and milks (2019-2021) Borrow Foundation. Principal Investigator
- Development of a fluoride assay methodology for plasma from capillary blood samples (2016-2018). Borrow Foundation. Principal Investigator; Co-investigators: A Maguire (Newcastle, UK); EA Martinez-Meir (Indiana, US).
- Effect of physical activity on fluoride metabolism in children: a feasibility study (2016-2017), UK Academics/CONFAP Research Mobility award. Co-investigator.
- Effect of physical activity on fluoride metabolism (2014-2018). Borrow Foundation. Principal Investigator.
- Fluoride research (2011-2018). Borrow Foundation. Co-investigators.
- Fluoride metabolism/body fluoride retention: Effects of host (genetic variation) and environment (fluoride dose and exercise) factors (2015-2016). São Paulo Researchers in International Collaboration (SPRINT). Joint Principal Investigator; in collaboration with R Valentine (Newcastle, UK) and MAR Buzalaf (Brazil).
- Assessment of fluoride intake, excretion and retention of infants in the UK (2013-2016). The Organix Foundation. Principal Investigator
- Effect of altitude on fluoride metabolism (2013-2016). Borrow Foundation. Principal Investigator
- Establish international research collaboration (2014). British Council Seed Funding Grant. Co-investigator.
- Fluoride metabolism and public health - a "Question of DETAIL" (2013). British Council- Sao Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) Researcher Links. Co-investigator.
- Does knowledge and awareness of oral cancer signs and symptoms in at-risk individuals improve the likelihood of early attendance rate in an area experiencing high mortality rates? (2010). Tees NHS. Principal Investigator. Co-investigator: K Shah.
- Assessment of fluoride intake of infants in the UK (2009-2010). The Organix Foundation. Principal Investigator.
- Dental and skeletal fluorosis in Tanzania (2008). RoyalSociety; Ghana/Tanzanian – UK Science Networking Scheme. Principal Investigator.
- Fluoride contents of baby foods in the UK (2008). The Organix Foundation. Principal Investigator
- Assessment of dietary fluoride intake using two dietary methods (2008). Borrow Foundation. Principal Investigator.
- Estimation of Urinary Fluoride Excretion following increased fluoride ingestion from fluoridated milk (2008-2009). Borrow Foundation. Co-investigator.
- Effect of three oral hygiene regimes on salivary fluoride concentration (2007). Johnson & Johnson. Principal Investigator.
- Is there a risk in reducing the availability of some trace elements in milks if fluoride is added to milk? (2005-2007). Borrow Foundation. Co-investigator.
- Royal Society Conference Grant (2004). Principal Investigator
- Fluoride biomarkers: urine, saliva, nail and hair (2003). Oral & Dental Research.
- Development of Gold Standard Methods for Fluoride Analysis (2003-2008). National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Project number IR21DE014716 -01. (Principal Investigator; Dr EA Martinez-Meir,University of Indiana, USA). Collaborating centres: Brazil, Chile, Ireland, Thailand, UK and US (Iowa, California, Georgia). Co-investigator.
- Bioavailability of Fluoride in Drinking Water - A Human Experimental Study (2003). Department of Health. Co-investigator.
PhD and Research Opportunities
On-going PhD projects:
- Predictor of fluorosis: total fluoride intake or subsequent fluoride absorption?
- eHealth to promote Oral Health
- Public Perception of Community Water Fluoridation
- Effects of systemic fluoride exposure on iodine status and thyroid function during pregnancy
The following research topics available to potential PhD students:
- Association between fluoride exposure and incidence of canine osteosarcoma
- Vegetarianism and fluoride metabolism
Please contact me by email in the first instance if you are interested in any of the above.
Enterprise Interest and Activities
Vida is an expert on methods for assessment of renal fluoride excretion in community prevention programmes for oral health and has contributed her expertise to the fluoridated milk monitoring exercise, in St Helens – Merseyside, to measure the impact of drinking milk containing 0.8mg F/189 ml milk on urinary fluoride excretion of three year old children in 2013. She was the lead author of the monitoring exercise report for the National Fluoridated Milk Group (NFMG). She also provided a consultancy role for Blackpool City Council for a fluoride monitoring survey in May 2015. As an invited speaker, she has delivered several seminars and lectures for those who are involved in fluoridated milk schemes at schools.
She is also an expert on fluoride analysis of different biological and non-biological samples including food and drink products. She has been invited to run several training courses on the topic for industry and had a key role in a project for the UK ‘Food & Environment Research Agency (fera)’ in which more than 250 food and drink samples were analysed for their fluoride concentrations for the Food Safety Authority Ireland. She has developed a unique fluoride database which provides information on fluoride concentrations of the most commonly consumed food and drink items in the UK (https://www.tees.ac.uk/docs/DocRepo/Research/FinalFluorideDatabase.pdf).
She led a project for ‘Johnson & Johnson’ to test the potential benefit of the combined use of a fluoridated toothpaste and a fluoridated mouthwash.
Learning and Teaching Interests and Activities
Vida currently teaches on the Doctorate of Public Health programme and supervises a number of PhD students.
She has delivered invited lectures at several different institutes, including: Indiana University/USA, Harbin Commerce University/China, University of Glasgow/Scotland and Sao-Paulo University/Brazil.
She has been running several training courses on fluoride analysis for industry as well as seminars/lectures for public/oral health professionals.
External Roles and Professional Activities
- Member of International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- Member of British Society for Oral and Dental Research (BSODR)
- Member of European Organisation for Caries Research (ORCA)
- Member of Centre of Translational Research in Public Health (FUSE)
- Member of the Fluoride Research Group, Newcastle University, 2007 to date.
- Senior editor of a volume in the Karger series 'Monographsin Oral Science', on the topic 'Nutrition, Diet and Oral Health'
1/04/20 → 1/12/23
Urinary fluoride parameters in spot urine samples associated with exposure to systemic fluoride through
Zohoori, V., Maguire, A., Buzalaf, M. A. R., Martignon, S. & Giacaman, R. A.
1/05/19 → 31/07/21
Zohoori, V. & Maguire, A.
1/01/15 → …
Determining an upper reference value for the urinary fluoride-creatinine ratio in healthy children younger than 7 years
Zohoori, V. & Maguire, A.
1/08/16 → 31/12/17
Zohoori, V., Maguire, A., Buzalaf, M. A. R. & Martinez-Mier, E. A.
1/01/16 → 31/12/17
Zohoori, V., 2021, In: Chemosphere. 261
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Zohoori, V., 2020, In: Caries Research. 21, p. 1-10 24 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile201 Downloads (Pure)
Zohoori, V., 31 Jan 2020, In: Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology. 57, p. 1-8 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile57 Downloads (Pure)
Zohoori, V. & Duckworth, R. M., 2020, The Impact of Nutrition and Diet on Oral Health. Zohoori, F. V. & Duckworth, R. M. (eds.). Basel: Karger Publishers, Vol. 28. p. 48-58 11 p. (Monographs in Oral Science; vol. 28).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › ChapterOpen AccessFile138 Downloads (Pure)
Zohoori, V., 2020, The Impact of Nutrition and Diet on Oral Health. Zohoori, F. V. & Duckworth, R. M. (eds.). Basel: Karger Publishers, Vol. 28. p. 1-13 (Monographs in Oral Science; vol. 28).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › ChapterOpen AccessFile131 Downloads (Pure)
Supplementary Material for: A Comparison of Simple Analytical Methods for Determination of Fluoride in Microlitre-Volume Plasma Samples
Zohoori, V. (Contributor), Maguire, A. (Creator), Martinez-Mier, E. A. (Creator), Buzalaf, M. A. R. (Creator), Sanderson, R. (Creator) & Eckert, G. J. (Creator), figshare, 1 Apr 2019