Projects per year
Dr Xiaoxian Zhu specialises in talent management, learning&development and employability in high-tech industries. She is the research lead and a programme leader for doctoral programmes at Teesside University Business School. Dr Zhu is an academic member of CIPD and a subject examiner of international examining bodies. For her academic performance in this field, she has a good record of high quality public presentations in the UK and internationally, publications and research funding. She is a Distinguished Professor at Xi'an International University and a Visiting Professor at Zhejiang University of Technology, China.
Xiaoxian has taught in HRM and Business Management at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels at universities in the UK and overseas. She has held roles of principal lecturer (International) and programme leader of MBA and MA HRM at TUBS. She has also served leading UK universities for online MBA and MSc HRM programmes. Prior to her academic career, she was a marketing executive at a multinational automotive company in FT Global 500.
Summary of Research Interests
- Talent Management
- International HRM
- Learning and Development; Skills, training and employability; Knowledge management
- SME and Entrepreneurship, Tech, Regional development
- AI impacts on Future of Work
Research Projects & External Funding
Research Awards, Honours and Prizes:
- 'Creative Fuse North East’, AHRC. Co-Investigator. 2016-2018
- ‘Emergency Medical Response Evaluation’, ILG. Co-Investigator. 2016
- ‘Prime Minister Initiative 2 (PMI2) British Council Project on Regional Economic Development and University Educational partnership between UK and China’. LeedsMet-ZJUT. With Prof. J. Shutt and Prof. P. Iles. Funded by British Council. 2010-2013.
- ‘Fun Door: An open door for your better future career’ Project. CEEMAN 2012 Global Challenge Future Competition. Finalist. With Tingting Jiang. Grand Summit Funded by CEEMAN and UNESCO.
- ‘Talent Management and Employability in High-Tech Industries in Hangzhou, China’. As part of PhD, working with Prof P. Iles, Prof G. Aouad. Awarded Postgraduate Research Funding, University of Salford, 2010/2011 and 2011/2012.
- ‘Talent Management and HRD in high-tech’. Research Funding. Centre of Organisational Behaviour and Leadership Research, University of Salford, 2010/2011 and 2011/2012.
- ‘Organisational Transformation and Innovative Development in Industrial Leading Enterprises in Zhejiang, China’. With Prof H. Cheng and Prof. J. Shutt. Funded by Zhejiang Province Government and High Education Key Research Centres. 2011-2013.
PhD and Research Opportunities
Dr Zhu currently welcomes PhD students in Talent Management/International HRM, Labour Market/Employability, and Regional Development areas, in particular, AI impacts at workplace (HRM/Talent Management/Employability focused).
Current PhD and DBA students supervised by Xiaoxian are conducting the following research projects:
- Learning and development in public sector (in Nigeria)
- Talent Management and Human capital development (in Nigeria; in China; in Libya)
- Decision Making, Comparative Studies (UK and India)
- Employee engagement and Community Engagement (UK)
- Gender issues (UK; China)
Doctorate Supervision to Completions:
- Gary Norris (DBA, 2017)
- Alistair Bowden (PhD, 2018)
- Gillian Danby (DBA, 2018)
- Sayed Alawi (DBA, 2019)
- Muhammad Nazir (PhD, 2019)
Enterprise Interest and Activities
Non-Executive Advisory Board: Summit
Learning and Teaching Interests and Activities
FHEA, Certified online academic facilitator.
- Learning and Development (L7)
- Human Resource Planning (L7)
- Research Methods for Doctorate Students (Doctoral)
- Applying Management and Organisational Studies (Doctoral)
External Roles and Professional Activities
- Academic Member CIPD, Committee Member CIPD Tees Valley
- Academic Advisory Board: Overseas Returnees Centre
- Association of Business Executive
- PhD external examiner, Sunderland University, 2016-2019
- Distinguished Professor: Xi'an International University, China
External Examiner, Northumbria UniversityFeb 2019 → 30 Dec 2022
External Examiner, University of Greenwich1 Sep 2018 → 30 Dec 2022
Distinguished Professor, Xi'an International University13 Apr 2018 → …
External Validation Advisor, Coventry UniversityJul 2016 → Jun 2017
Research Output per year
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Research output: Contribution to conference › Abstract
Projectification and Partnering: An Amalgamated Approach for New Venture Creation in an Entrepreneurial EcosystemLi, Z., Liu, J., Wang, F., Xia, S. & Zhu, X., 27 Feb 2019, In : Journal of Emerging Markets Finance and Trade. 19 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Talent Development as a Strategy Corporate Leaders of Libyan Oil Companies Can Use to Pursue Sustainable Organisational Performance: the RBV Theory aspectBen Salim, K. & Zhu, X., 24 Jun 2019.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper
1 Media contribution
Factors Affecting E-commerce Adoption Among SMEs : A Case Study Investigation of a Developing Economy - PakistanAuthor: Nazir, M., 1 Dec 2019
Supervisor: Zhu, X. (Supervisor)
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis